Author Topic: The best Tiramisu in the world, ever!  (Read 2967 times)

Offline Clanky

• Star Member
The best Tiramisu in the world, ever!
« on: February 25, 2011, 11:59:55 AM »
Loads of people have been telling me to try Kinsale since I arrived here, I have been meaning to for ages, but have never known where it was, I have walked along the front at Matagorda a few times on my way to Arrecife / Playa Honda and looked out for it, but have always missed it.  So last night I was determined to find it and got some proper idiot proof instructions.

For anyone else who is looking for Kinsale if you are coming from PDC turn right on the roundabout at the Matagorda End of Los Pocillios beach and keep going until you see a bandstand on your left (about 200m from the roundabout I think) and Kinsale is at the back of the square.

I arrived at around 8 O'Clock and there were quite a few people eating already, initial impressions were very good, the place is nicely decorated and the staff were very welcoming and friendly, I sat at the bar for a beer to start with and had a look over the menu which is fairly standard UK / Irish restaurant fare with a really nice selection of fish dishes, I wasn't feeling particularly adventurous so order chicken liver pate and a fillet steak stuffed with prawns.

The pate was delicious, really tasty and obviously home made served with plenty of toast, a very nice redcurrant jelly type thing and a really nice salad.  The steak was huge, cooked just how I had ordered it (blue) and served with really nice mash, fried onions and mushroom, the prawns were served on top of the steak and were butterflied king prawns.  Had a glass of a very nice house red to go with the steak.

The desert menu had a few nice choices, but one of my favourite deserts is Tiramisu when it is done well, i was assured that it was home made and figured that as the rest of the meal was so good that a home made Tiramisu from here would probably be a fairly good attempt.

WOW, I wish I had a camera, it was served on a plate in three scoops, I wasn't sure at first if they had cocked up and given me the wrong thing or if the Tiramisu was actually tiramisu ice-cream, but the first spoonful confirmed that not only was this proper tiramisu, it was really, really good.  Like sitting there with my eyes closed kind of good.  It really is no exaggeration to say that it is the best tiramisu I have ever had.

All followed by an espresso (with a shot of Arreuccas (sp?) rum and a very generous shot of ron miel on the house (the ron miel not the espresso).

A nice place, great staff and fantastic food, all in all I would say Kinsale is one of the best restaurants in town and definitely on my list of places to go back to.
Go out, do stuff

Offline Bob Cunningham

• Super Hero Member
Re: The best Tiramisu in the world, ever!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »
Seen the Topic now smokie. ;D
Bob Cunningham

All about me, Bob Cunningham

RIP - Tony Broome

I was Canary Nightlife's 1st person to hit 25k posts, and become a Super Hero member

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in this forum... Without you, all we'd have is questions!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • I'm not easily distracted... Oh look - a puppy!
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 17:31:41 PM »
Sounds like you had a fab time.

Oh, and you can have my share of Tiramisu too! ;D

Sounds like we have the same taste in steaks though!

Offline desdamona

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 19:31:28 PM »
Was it pricey Clanky or value for money.

Offline Clanky

• Star Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 19:45:27 PM »
It was fairly expensive, but certainly worth every penny.

If I remember correctly the fillet steak and prawns was around €17 and other mains started at around €12, they do have a kids menu which I meant to check out as my kids are coming out for Easter, I suppose I had better go back next week for that.

I had starter, a main course, a desert, a pint, a glass of wine and a carajillo coffee which all came to the top end of 30 something euros, considering some of the rubbish which is around at similar prices I would say that this is pretty good value for money although if there were a large group it could work out expensive.
Go out, do stuff

Offline dixie d

• Star Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 21:27:43 PM »
good review clanky ;)
politicians and nappies have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.)

Offline Clanky

• Star Member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 16:41:04 PM »
Took the kids here last week, I was a bit unsure as I couldn't remember how varied the menu was and wasn't really certain that they would all find something they liked, Kinsale do have a kids menu, but if I offered them a kids portion they would laugh at me.

We had been either eating at dad's café or at fairly mid-range places up until then so this was going to be a bit of a treat, got there and the staff were very welcoming and chatted away to the kids, my eldest Katie and my youngest James both saw something that they wanted from the main menu and Keiran (the fussy one in the middle wanted the sausage and mash from the kids menu but in adult portion size and with chips not mash and no beans, which was not a problem.

Katie had veg soup to start which was absolutely delicious, I had fish soup which was likewise fantastic, James had smoked salmon and Keiran had garlic bread, both of which they loved.

After having a steak last time I visited and being thoroughly impressed I was determined to be a little more adventurous this time and had sole stuffed with salmon and prawns served with mash and a lovely sauce, which was absolutely delicious, katie had a sirloin steak and james had a fillet steak, unforunately they both ordered them well done, which meant that I didn't nick any, but they both said that they were lovely and scoffed the lot.  Keiran's sausage and chips were very nice too.

It robably won't come as any surprise that I had the tiramisu, Keiran and James had chocolate and orange cheesecake and Katie had ice cream.

We all had 3 drinks each and the whole bill was just a little over €30 each which was wel worth it.

The staff were fantastic and made just enough fuss of the kids to make them feel a bit special without intruding.  Definitely the kids favourite meal of their stay, mine too.
Go out, do stuff

Canary Nightlife Forum

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 16:41:04 PM »