Author Topic: Lanzarote Mickstyle !!  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
Lanzarote Mickstyle !!
« on: May 15, 2012, 01:21:27 AM »
Hi all.
As stated in a previous post, I am, sadly, back in the UK after 10 magnificent days AND NIGHTS in Lanza. To say that the weather was HOT is the understatement of the year... As the days progressed, the temperature just went UP UP and then straight off the radar; somewhere in the high 30s !!
Anyhow....On with the hol.
Bit of a disaster to start with, as I had to spend the best part of ten hours in Manchester airport due to some technical problems with the plane; I flew with Monarch this time around. No use complaining though eh..Better safe than sorry.. Ahhh, I soon settled in with a book and a good few GnT's. We got away at around 4 in the afternoon. Quite an eventful flight though. I was seated next to an elderley gentleman by the name of Cyril Taylor, a grand fella, who hadn't been to PDC for 25 years. Cyril wanted to know which restaurants, bars etc to go to, and as he was travelling with other members of his family; sons, daughters, partners etc, I was only too happy to oblige. We shared a good few Bombay Saphires on the plane did me and Cyril, and finished off with a celebratory whiskey. I've no idea what we were celebrating ?? But...Hey Ho...We were on our holidays  ;D
Howard picked me up at Arrecife and I arrived at Danielle's at around 9"ish". God bless her little cotton socks, Danni had done a lovely chicken & pasta meal and already had the wine poured !! All was well.
Day 1, Friday. I was up early and took myself off on Danni's bike along the cycle track to the airport. How lovely is it down their eh early morning. Peace & tranquility. there wasn't even any planes taking off or landing !! Which was, actually, what I'd gone to see. Still, it was just nice to sit there looking out over the Atlantic in the early morning sunshine. Back to base for brekki, then we had a meander up to the Biosferra, as Danni wanted a present for Howards birthday; I'd bought mine back in the UK; a nice set of chefs knives, as I know Howard likes to cook. The afternoon was spent erecting the new garden swing that mine host had bought a couple of weeks previous.... You should have seen the performance by me and Dave trying to put that thing up..... Definately one for Harry Hills TV Burps !!
As it was Friday (chippy tea night) I went to the Galleon, as per, but this time with a purpose ?? NO !!! Not to get drunk; although I did have a bit of a "wobble on" a little later. I went to try the beer battered cod n chips that I'd heard so much about..... I wasn't disappointed either !! Best cod n chips I've had in yonks....With the obligatory 3 slices of bread.... Ahhhh, You've gotta have a good old chip butty haven't ya  ;D. The evening was spent in above establishment in the company of Derek & Margret; retired Welsh couple who I've know for ages and two of they're friends; a gay couple from Manchester by the names of Sasha & Zoe. Two beautiful lasses who had me in stitches all night long. "The wobble" ensued as you can imagine !!
Saturday saw me off for mi bike ride once again; still no planes.... Then I had the unenviable task of re-masticing Danni's bathroom.... Fortunately it went without a hitch. The rest of the weekend was spent mainly catching a few rays on the Playa Grande.....
Monday. Spent most of it on the beach with Danni & Dave, where, after a few dips in the sea, we all devoured a couple of chickens from Mickey Burger..... Then Danni took me to a cake shop just down from the Rocas Blancas apartments; I've forgotten the name of it for the moment, but I know it began with a V ?? The cakes and bread that they sell, honestly, are to die for....Try the vanilla slices...YUMMMMMMEEEE !! It's no wonder my waistline's expanded by about a foot !! Monday night was the highlight of the week; Howards birthday party. Howard & Liz are another couple from the Welsh valley's who have retired to PDC; two nicer people you could not wish to meet. H put on a spread fit for a King & Queen, and there was enough booze to sink a battleship !! The usual culprits decended on Howard and Liz' mansion and we all had a ball.... Cheers H, and Happy Birthday once again mate. Much appreciated. But can you make the wine glasses a tad smaller next time !! (Note to Rob) ha ha ha
As I said earlier, the rest of the week, weatherwise, just got hotter and hotter, so in general, I did nothing cept sunbathe in the morning, and in the afternoon, although it was nigh on impossible, just try to keep as cool as possible.
Just a little note for anyone going over in the near future. If the weather is as hot as it was for me.... PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND BE SENSIBLE. Don't try to get a two week suntan in a day... It doesn't work.. You'll just end up burnt to a crisp and be very ill indeed; a couple of hours in sunshine of that intensity is more than adequate. Use a good quality high factor suncream. Drink plenty of water. Eat oranges; vitamin C is good for you. Take regular dips in the sea or pool to cool off. For the folicly challenged amongst us; like me "bald", wear a brightly coloured hat/ cap; bright colours reflect the sun rather than absorbing it..... If the old napper gets burnt.... It hurts BIGSTYLE !!
OK, I'm off mi soapbox now !! ha ha ha.....
I had to laugh one morning on the beach.... Rather than just lay in the sun, I decided to "walk the beach"... Off I set with my feet "just" in the sea. It was like walking down the main street in my home town !! The amount of people that I bumped into from previous holidays was unreal; most of which live in Lanza. JJ & Caroline, Camilla & Pablo. A couple who I'd met a couple of Christmas' previous... it just went on and on.... Absolute madness, but good fun nonetheless. Its always great to have a catchup when your least expecting it eh !! And what better surroundings to do it in..... Luvvli  ;D
I did have a little wander around in the evenings, but unfortunately, as I'd come a bit of a cropper on Danielle's bike one morning, my walking was somewhat curtailed. I had a lovely meal with Lil, a Romanian friend who I've known for years at The Royal restaurant, just down from Centro one evening. I also managed a few GnT's with my old mate Becky at Ruta, where, once again, I had a great laugh with Sasha & Zoe..... Sasha could drink any man I know under the table !! I bumped into another old friend whilst having breakfast one morning;Christina. Christina, also from Romania, used to work in Ruta when I first started going over to Lanza so so many years ago, and somehow we always manage to stay in touch. JJ from the American Indian, Sandra "Dobbo" Dobson from the Tavern.... and loads loads more.. Ohhh it was definately a "home from home" holiday !! Ahhhh it was brilliant.
I could go on and on.....But I won't....
I would like to say a few special "Thank you's" though.
Firstly, once again to my hosts Danielle ( I love ya to bits cocker) & Dave, for your kindness, hospitality and generosity that you give so freely. AND a SPECIAL SPECIAL THANKS to Danni for those fajitas that you made for us all on Thursday night !! They were DEEEEEEELICIOUS.....and blimmin HOT !! Phewwww.
To all the Galleon crew members; Danni (once again) Lorraine, Tara, Jen (for the fish n chips & the steak pie), Toni, Howard, Liz, Derek, Margret, John (my card playing buddy), Elaine, Sasha, Zoe, and a lovely Irish fella by the name of Michael from Cork, who was over on holiday (scuba diving) who also shared a number of evening with us. And last but not least, Cheechu & Daniella, the owners. (sorry if I've forgotten anyone)
Also to Julie Steadman and her lovely family. Julie is a lass "once met, never forgotten" in the nicest possible way. Heart of pure gold and as daft as a brush.... We all love ya kiddo. (Hope you've recovered from Howards party) !!  ;)
To Dave and the guys down at Picadilly, and also to big Jim from Linnekars.
To Helen at the Rocas Blancas cafe for the Lasagne's and Cappuccino's.
Thank you all for making my holidays such a pleasure.
As usual it all ended too soon. But at the very least I can sit here and re-live it over & over again......
whilst trying to fathom out how to get this extra two feet off mi waistline !!  ;D ;D ;D
From the bottom of my heart, thanks again to everyone. You are the BEST !!

Mick

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
Re: Lanzarote Mickstyle !!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:35:54 AM »
Yours truly with the birthday boy Howard

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:38:18 AM »
The entertainers; Rob, Julie & Roger....  ;D

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 07:40:18 AM »
Poor Julie !!  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 07:41:55 AM »
With Lil at The Royal

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 07:44:58 AM »
Me n mi best mate Danielle

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 08:02:15 AM »
HA HAAAA !! I've just remembered the name of the cake shop down by Mickey Burger !! I don't know where the "V" came from ? Must be mi age  ;D ;D
The shop is called Lolita's..... Give those vanilla's a whirl  ;)

Offline Celtygirl

• Star Member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:55:51 AM »
Fab report - glad you had a good time - as always ;D
C
x

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in this forum... Without you, all we'd have is questions!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • I'm not easily distracted... Oh look - a puppy!
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:47:45 AM »
What an excellent read!!

Sorry I didn't get up to see you - but was all a bit manic once Alan got home, as you can imagine. xxxxx

Offline Silly Gilly

• Star Member
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 11:32:56 AM »
as always, sounds fab, just a pity to come back eh? x
It's not a rehearsal, it's the real thing, so enjoy it while you can!

Offline Josie

• Star Member
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:36:02 PM »
Brilliant stuff Mick. 

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that you had run into Clanky and the girls but you may not have met?  I bet you were in at least one the same bars at the same time. 
I love Lanzarote!

Offline Ethans-dad

• Star Member
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 14:10:03 PM »
Sounds like you had a blast! Roll on the next one :)
Without disappointment, you can't appreciate victory.

Offline Ozzie

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 17:43:58 PM »
Nice one MIck. Sounds like thats the train to be on.
Celty Girl, guess what, were moving up to Prestwick/Ayr as soon as the house has sold. Catch up with me in Ceccinis or The Taj when we get there.
When you out again Mick ??
Oz

Offline Ali

• Is thinking, good girls are make of sugar and spice and all things nice, bad girls are made of Bicardi and coke and loads of ice
  • Star Member
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 19:46:02 PM »
Enjoyable read Mick.  :)

Sounds like you had a great time x :)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 23:38:15 PM »
Hi all.
Thanks for the replies. I really did have a ball. I've just re-read what I've written, and to be honest, I didn't really do a great deal on this particular holiday; sayin that, I never do !!  ;D I must be the most "un"touristy tourist in the world ??  I would have loved to have written; I went here, did that, went there etc, but I didn't. I love Lanzarote for what it is, but mostly because its a place that I can relax and unwind; isn't that what a holiday is for eh ? The one thing that I always do though is, get up pretty early. I'm never in bed much after 7 in the morning, no matter how many GnT's I've had the night before; I know thats not everyone's cup of tea, but I like to make my days as long as possible. A nice quiet hour in Danni's back garden, with coffee & fags in the cool of the morning. Then a bit of excercise on the bike for an hour or so, and after that its chillout time !! Each to there own I s'pose, but that suits me fine.
I was a little sad to see one of my old favourite eateries had closed down; La Braseria, up past Macky D's. Apparently it is being refurbished and turned into a high class Chinese eating establishment. Weather PDC needs this or not I'm a little unsure, but if the food is as good as the Oriental World, good luck to them. On a brighter note, I was glad to see that the building that has stood derelict up towards the Farriones for years, has finally been transformed into another "Mint" shop; all silver & sparkly.
Initially, PDC seemed a little quiet, but as the week progressed it started to fill up quite a lot. I think people were coming over for the Iron Man competition which is this coming weekend. It was great in the afternoon, sat under the shade of a big old palm tree with an ice cream on one of the many seating areas on the Strip, watching the Iron men and ladies practising. Out in the sea swimming, on they're bikes and jogging along merrily...... in 30 PLUS degrees !! They must be mad... I can actually sit and "people watch" all day long, weather they be Iron men or just ordinary people like you and me....its facinating...
Nope....my holidays may not be the most exciting in the world, but to me that matters not. So long as the sun shines, I'm relaxed, there's a few GnT's to be had, and I'm in the company of nice people, that'll do me fine.
Maybe next time I'll do something a little more energetic ?? Perhaps a trip to the moon !! Naaaaa, it'll be Lanza once again......Coz I just love it !!  ;D
Its funny really. When I'm getting ready to go to Lanza, people that I know in the UK always ask, "are ya getting excited Mick ?". My response, "Nope, I'm getting content"..... They look at me a bit quizically.....Then I say, "Coz I'm going home" !!  ;D ;D ;D As thats what Lanzarote is to me..... Home sweet home...
In response to Ozzie. I would like to get over for a quick week in October, but I'm gonna have to see how work pans out; its a bit mad at the mo. But, if not October, I'll definately be back for 3 weeks at Christmas. I've definately gotta go back.......Coz all mi clobber is at Danielle's !! I think mi little ray of sunshine is moving me in slowly !! ha ha ha.
Love to all.
Mick

Canary Nightlife Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 23:38:15 PM »