Author Topic: So this Scottish thing then...  (Read 10727 times)

Offline John B

• Star Member
    • Lanzarote on Foot
Re: So this Scottish thing then...
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 13:55:19 PM »
So what will we be called officially 'The not so United Kingdom of not quite as Great Britain and Northern Ireland' ?

As I said, UKR, UK Rump.
My personal walking blog: Lanzarote on Foot
My personal Lanzarote history blog: The Lanzarote they left

If you want something doing well, kill Baldrick first

Offline John B

• Star Member
    • Lanzarote on Foot
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 13:56:11 PM »
Cameron.  Isn't that a foreign name?
My personal walking blog: Lanzarote on Foot
My personal Lanzarote history blog: The Lanzarote they left

If you want something doing well, kill Baldrick first

lanzalocal

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 13:58:25 PM »
Mmmmm sounds Scottish to me ::).......mind you Portillo´s father was a Spanish Govt. minister who escaped to the UK during the Spanish civil war (I know he is not in politics now....just a thought)
Perhaps Cameron is thinking of having dual nationality.....so when he really screws up he can head north of the border !
After all Clegg his partner in whatever has a Spanish wife....so he´s all right then when push comes to shove ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 14:01:42 PM by lanzalocal »

Offline ClaudB

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 14:14:17 PM »
Funny both Cameron and Portillo get a mention here. Just last night I was watching an episode of Portillo's documentary series travelling around the UK by rail and he was in the Highlands at Achnacarry interviewing the head of the Clan Cameron which, he reckoned could be traced back to the 14th century, and he said he'd met David cameron and told him he is probably his 9th cousin several times removed (whatever that means). Just a wee coincidence - not bringing anything to the debate.

Offline Josie

• Star Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 14:48:11 PM »
DC is also very clever (for once) in making it simply a yes/no vote because the detail will be all important. 

Did anyone see any of QT last night?  One bloke said that independence would mean beer at £7 odd a pint as in Scandinavia which is why he'd be voting against it.

Without wishing any disrespect to CG my impression is that most people in the South East of England couldn't care less about what Scotland decides.

I love Lanzarote!

Offline InterestedParty

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 14:51:55 PM »
Well lets face it if the Scots clear off....the other two won´t be far behind  ;)
Which other two, England and Wales? :)

Offline whisper

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2012, 15:47:21 PM »
snp are not named tartan tories for nothing...labour were bad for scotland..as they were obeying london hq's orders.

snp are not stupid, they gave us free prescriptions and care for elderly, council tax freezes and all sorts, and they know scots won't  want the old days back when it had to be paid for.
we don't mind a snp government, but we don't want an independent scotland..better off as we are.

as for labour, they have a snowballs chance in hell now...Johann lamont, scottish labour leader, made a gaffe,,and huge one..saying that 'getting something for nothing', wouldn't be continued under labour.
she was asked to explain what she meant, repeatedly and couldn't or wouldn't answer.

how can it be something for nothing..especially when it's the said taxpayers money ?

we'll vote no to independence it i think..but keep the snp in government and things as they stand at the moment.

Offline ClaudB

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2012, 17:01:54 PM »
At least the nutty idea of having a different Time Zone at the border seems to have gone away.
That came up a couple of years ago during discussions on whether to continue changing the clocks twice a year.

Offline Flash

• Star Member
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2012, 17:10:36 PM »
Oooo you cynic you.

Ok I'll go first at being serious - since 1945 we've spent a lot of time and effort bringing down barriers and divides to try to give us a more peaceful, harmonious and prosperous life, and by and large it's worked.  This seems to be an example of putting up barriers and divides, which leads to separation and conflict, who's to say it won't become another Northern Ireland type situation (Far fetched, that's what the provisional IRA in the fifties thought when they burried their weapons)

Why on earth would we want it?  It smacks of being very Lib Dem like in that the SNP could have any policy they want because you're never going to have the power to put them in place, but whoopsy look what happened now they do, and since they've been flying this flag for so long they can't haul it down now.  Which by the same token leaves them with egg on their face regarding their long term policy commitment of withdrawl from NATO, but they've decided just to ditch that, bit like the Lib Dems and tuition fees/mansion tax/any number of other policies that were morally correct, but have been immorally dumped.

I don't much care which way the vote goes, if the majority want independence then so be it.  But I do think it's a bad idea.
Be happy, communicate happiness.

Tramp the dirt down.

Offline Josie

• Star Member
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2012, 20:19:01 PM »
Hey Flash mansion tax is definitely not morally correct!
I love Lanzarote!

Offline Josie

• Star Member
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2012, 20:19:58 PM »
New thread anyone?

Come to think of it I'm too tired.  ;)
I love Lanzarote!

Offline whisper

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2012, 20:46:52 PM »
once the vote has been taken..and results are in...were stuck with it..or are we..?

are the snp going to keep asking that question about independence each and every time they get into power..until they get the "result" they want..and that's what that party is mean't to be all about .. independence
thats my main concern.

Offline Flash

• Star Member
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2012, 21:29:44 PM »

;D  ;D do I smell a vested interest  ;D

LL Portillos father was on a different side of the civil war to his brothers - how tough must that have been round the table at Sunday lunch!
Be happy, communicate happiness.

Tramp the dirt down.

Offline 6th

• Tenerife's forum of fun
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2012, 00:27:10 AM »
Oooo you cynic you.

Ok I'll go first at being serious - since 1945 we've spent a lot of time and effort bringing down barriers and divides to try to give us a more peaceful, harmonious and prosperous life, and by and large it's worked.  This seems to be an example of putting up barriers and divides, which leads to separation and conflict, who's to say it won't become another Northern Ireland type situation (Far fetched, that's what the provisional IRA in the fifties thought when they burried their weapons)

Why on earth would we want it?  It smacks of being very Lib Dem like in that the SNP could have any policy they want because you're never going to have the power to put them in place, but whoopsy look what happened now they do, and since they've been flying this flag for so long they can't haul it down now.  Which by the same token leaves them with egg on their face regarding their long term policy commitment of withdrawl from NATO, but they've decided just to ditch that, bit like the Lib Dems and tuition fees/mansion tax/any number of other policies that were morally correct, but have been immorally dumped.

I don't much care which way the vote goes, if the majority want independence then so be it.  But I do think it's a bad idea.

I think that there is a big historical difference between N.I. relationship with the UK and Scotland's. We never voted to be part of the UK whereas Scotland did. Also, one party didn't have a dictatorial role in Scotland as we had in the north for 70/80 years. Personally, I'd love to see Scotland vote "yes" but I don't think it will happen. The ordinary scotsman believes he would have too much to lose. ( speaking from an outsider's viewpoint ).

Offline Josie

• Star Member
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 01:38:59 AM »

;D  ;D do I smell a vested interest  ;

LL Portillos father was on a different side of the civil war to his brothers - how tough must that have been round the table at Sunday lunch!

Not at all!  My house is not worth £2m!
I love Lanzarote!

Canary Nightlife Forum

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2012, 01:38:59 AM »