Author Topic: So this Scottish thing then...  (Read 10726 times)

Offline Flash

• Star Member
Re: So this Scottish thing then...
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »
6th I agree there's a big historical difference, although I do know a lot of Scots whose view is that one party does have a dictatorial role at the moment!

I know one guy who buys the football shirt of any team that plays against England and wears it to watch the match in the pub!

But my general point is that division breeds conflict, all over the world, where there's a border or a division there's a fight over it.    I think I'm in favour of the vote, but I don't think independence would do either party more good than not, the reality is that we're probably economically stronger as a Union.
Be happy, communicate happiness.

Tramp the dirt down.

Offline Clanky

• Star Member
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 10:31:12 AM »
I would almost like to see a YES vote just to see the "Oh sh1t"look on Salmond's face when he realises that rather than standing on the sidelines bitching about the union he now had a country to run.

Seriously though I do think that a yes vote would be a bad thing for Scotland, England and Wales (although possibly not for Ireland), it will be interesting to see how in pans out, the Spanish press have been very interested in the story, drawing obvious parallels between that and Artur Mas's Catalan independence movement.
Go out, do stuff

Offline dixie d

• Star Member
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 20:26:05 PM »

Alex Salmond and his Scottish National party wants independence, hardly surprising really,

If you take a closer look, Scottish National Party is an anagram of "Oh nasty tartan politics" and Alex Salmond is an anagram of "all mad, no sex"   ;)
politicians and nappies have one thing in common. They should both be changed regularly and for the same reason.)

Offline 6th

• Tenerife's forum of fun
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2012, 23:39:52 PM »
Could s'one tell me what the SNP will do with the currency if a yes vote is successful? I presume there will be a new "Scottish" pound linked in an equal ratio to sterling?

Offline Clanky

• Star Member
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »
6th, I think they plan to keep the pound sterling as the currency, or a Scottish pound linked 1:1
Go out, do stuff

Offline Alice

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 21:20:32 PM »
Scottish currency has always been illegal in England, although it was, usually, accepted.  When I lived in England, I often found Scottish pound coins in my change.  However, as Scotland still uses the pound note, it, of course, is 'unusual'.

I,when I go back to live in my homeland, hope that it will still be a part of the UK, for the reasons expressed by Whisper.  It's easy for Alex Salmond, who wants to be a PM, to talk about how well Scotland will do, as an independent country.  He has no experience of running a menage ( pronounced menauge!), let alone a country! 

I'm hoping that the disparaging comments about the Scots were tongue in cheek!

Oh, John, I think one needs more than a Scottish name to gain access to Scotland!  God, I hope so!!!!

Offline Flash

• Star Member
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2012, 21:57:27 PM »
Alice are you sure scottish currency is not legal tender in England ??

And if any of the disparaging remarks were mine I promise they were meant in fun and only muttered among friends  ;)

Tramp the dirt down.

Offline Alice

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2012, 22:37:16 PM »
I know that you meant no harm to we sensitive Scots!  Yes, I do believe that Scottish banknotes have never been legal tender, in England.

Offline Alice

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2012, 22:39:45 PM »
A wee quote:Scottish Banknotes are legal currency – i.e. they are approved by the UK Parliament.  However, Scottish Bank notes are not Legal Tender, not even in Scotland.  In fact, no banknote whatsoever (including Bank of England notes!) qualifies for the term 'legal tender' north of the border and the Scottish economy seems to manage without that legal protection.

Offline Flash

• Star Member
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2012, 02:15:00 AM »
Well I've  been driven to check out what you say, I've got an interest in printed currency which is far too complicated to,describe here.  But - turns out you're right, I hadn't appreciated the difference between legal tender and legal currency - not sure I understand it yet.

Tramp the dirt down.

Offline Alice

« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2012, 21:09:05 PM »
http://www.scotbanks.org.uk/legal_position.php

This is the website, which explains things, apparently!   

Offline Clanky

• Star Member
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2012, 21:16:40 PM »
Very interesting, thanks Alice.
Go out, do stuff

Offline Flash

• Star Member
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2012, 21:19:57 PM »
Nice one Alice!

Tramp the dirt down.

Offline Alice

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2012, 22:55:15 PM »
Thank you both! However, isn't it a bit silly?  If you pay a bill, with a big bag of pound coins, it's legal tender but a small packet of notes isn't!

Offline Flash

• Star Member
« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 00:16:07 AM »
And only if you tender the correct amount to settle the debt.

Tramp the dirt down.

Canary Nightlife Forum

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2012, 00:16:07 AM »