Author Topic: Lasting Memories of Smokie  (Read 3127 times)

Offline Bernie Bobcat

• Star Member
Lasting Memories of Smokie
« on: November 30, 2014, 16:20:47 PM »
It goes without saying that everyone loved Smokie, and that he will be fondly remembered forever by those of us who shared the craic with him on Canary Nightlife. 

I still remember that day I read his post about the game rules for Startle etc.  Smokie had such a great talent for writing so for anyone who joined the forum after August 2009 and missed this gem of a post I have copied it to put up again so he can keep us all tittering, even though he's no longer with us. 

Prepare to pee yourself! 

Smokie
How To Play "Startle"

For this game, you need two players and one of them needs to be a kitten.

Normally, the game is that the kitten hides at a corner and jumps out at you whenever you least expect it.
Points are awarded for bad languge, blood on ankles and broken crockery.
Bonus points can be awarded for elegance and style shown whilst attempting to save crockery.
Points are deducted if crockery is saved, no bonus points apply in this case.

How To Play "Superstartle"

Similar in concept to "Startle" but this time the human knows that the kitten is lying in wait.
The human has to sneak up on the kitten and at an opportune time, the human leaps up into the air, around the corner.

Points are awarded for kittyscreams, the height of the kittens leap and the angle of curvature of the kittens back.
Bonus points are awarded for the "mad expressions" on the kittens face at the apex of the screaming, back arching jump.
No points are awarded if the human actually lands on the kitten.
Caution; Humans should avoid leaping whilst in a doorway or archway, it can cause a temporary loss of consciousness, leading to an inability to defend oneself against the ravages of a "Startled" kitten.
Where a kitten is not available, a human substitute can be used for "Startle", but not "Superstartle", but again caution is required.
Drawbacks can include slaps for being a silly beggar.
Benefits in the case of grandparents and great aunts can include premature legacies.

God rest your soul Smokie.  You were a funny bugger!  XXXX

Offline lolly

• Star Member
Re: Lasting Memories of Smokie
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 17:20:08 PM »
I always opened Smokie's posts with great anticipation. You could rely on him to come out with something "daft". He will definitely be missed.

Offline Flash

• Star Member
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 18:56:57 PM »
Nice one Bernie, I'd not seen that one.

It has already occurred to me that digging a load of Smokie classics back up would be a great thing to do.  Mrs Flash and I were just discussing the buried treasure routine.  Not sure if that was posted or told over the breakfast table, LeFty will surely remember it.  If I can't find it online I'll re tell it as told over the next couple of weeks.

Hope you and yours are all well btw xx.
Be happy, communicate happiness.

Tramp the dirt down.

Offline John B

• Star Member
    • Lanzarote on Foot
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 20:19:07 PM »
LeFty did a reprise of it from a recipient's viewpoint during his excellent eulogy. 
My personal walking blog: Lanzarote on Foot
My personal Lanzarote history blog: The Lanzarote they left

If you want something doing well, kill Baldrick first

Offline Bernie Bobcat

• Star Member
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 22:01:48 PM »
Yes Lolly, I was always eager to read whatever Smokie posted.   So often he made me laugh, but on top of that  he had a real talent for writing so that no matter what he needed to say he could put it across so eloquently. 

I will definitely be looking forward to hearing the "buried treasure" story Flash and glad you and Lyndylou got to see his post inspired by that "Darn 'lil Kitty" as Smokie called him!

We're all keeping great here thanks! Haven't been on CN at all really as life has just been hectic +++  :o

I'd love to catch up with everyone again when we're in PB but I think I'm probably not going to be around at the same time as yourselves and Jane +1!  ;)

I'm there 11-18 December and again 9-19 January.  After that it's June before I'm back, but I should have a full 3 weeks then so perhaps our paths will cross!

Looking forward to hearing lots more Smokie stories, so come on everyone let's unite and share our happy memories of him. 

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in this forum... Without you, all we'd have is questions!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • I'm not easily distracted... Oh look - a puppy!
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 18:24:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure the treasure story is in here somewhere.

Smokie never failed to crack me up. Made rubbish tea though. ;)

I won't miss you too much smokie - because you're here with us always! You shall be blamed for any and all shenannigans ;)

Offline John B

• Star Member
    • Lanzarote on Foot
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 19:36:34 PM »
Well any shenannigans except locking a certain person in the ladies at the wake. Or perhaps..... To
My personal walking blog: Lanzarote on Foot
My personal Lanzarote history blog: The Lanzarote they left

If you want something doing well, kill Baldrick first

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in this forum... Without you, all we'd have is questions!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2014, 14:56:23 PM »
He he he. That was going on while I was on the phone to Mrs Smokie. I could hear the banging in the background :D

Offline lolly

• Star Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 23:24:41 PM »
Anyone we know!

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Global Moderator
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 19:27:42 PM »
It was a very good friend of Mrs Smokie's - but I don't think she's a member of the forum. xxxx

Canary Nightlife Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 19:27:42 PM »