Author Topic: Mad Cow Disease in Lanzarote  (Read 760 times)

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in this forum... Without you, all we'd have is questions!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • I'm not easily distracted... Oh look - a puppy!
    • Spain Buddy
Mad Cow Disease in Lanzarote
« on: April 12, 2008, 13:26:37 PM »
Note that I put this in the Lanzarote section... not in Jokes & Games (Yes, that's for your benefit Flash & Madstock).  ::)  ;D

Read this article this morning.  Have a read... and what are your thoughts? Personally I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Flooey xx

The government has urged calm, saying Spanish beef is now guaranteed safe to eat

Spain’s agriculture minister on Monday sent a message of “categorical calm and guarantees” to the public regarding the consumption of beef after confirmation of the deaths of two people from mad cow disease.
Elena Espinosa made the announcement during a recess at the agricultural sector conference being held Monday on the island of Lanzarote, in the Canary Islands, after receiving confirmation by telephone of the two deaths.

The government of the Spanish region of Castilla y León confirmed that the deaths had occurred on December 28th, 2007, and February 7th this year.

A spokesman for the Health Ministry said that both cases were detected prior to 2001.

Espinosa also said that, although there was a lack of information on the two deaths, everything was pointing to the conclusion that both cases arose after the victims ate infected beef before 2001.

She insisted that in 1996 the European Union and Spain adopted all known control measures to avoid, prevent and control bovine spongiform encephalopathy, better known as mad cow disease, which was detected in Spain for the first time in November 2000.

Espinosa transmitted to the public her full guarantee of food safety for Spanish beef, noting that for more than 10 years quality and tracing controls had been in place.

Canary Nightlife Forum

Mad Cow Disease in Lanzarote
« on: April 12, 2008, 13:26:37 PM »