Author Topic: Lanzarote exchange rate - ask your questions here  (Read 16247 times)

Offline Bob Cunningham

• Super Hero Member
Re: Lanzarote exchange rate - ask your questions here
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 18:39:18 PM »
I think it depends who you bank with Linda... and whether they have a partner here. Abbey National aren't charging for overseas withdrawals now from their owners Santander. I think Sam posted some info about it.

I think there's another solution for you... that might be better as you're here for a longer while than the usual, and will get you a much better exchange rate too - but let me speak to my bank here to see if it's possible first.

Elle xx
http://www.canarynightlife.net/forum/index.php/topic,5316.0.html
Bob Cunningham

All about me, Bob Cunningham

RIP - Tony Broome

I was Canary Nightlife's 1st person to hit 25k posts, and become a Super Hero member

Offline linda london

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 18:50:07 PM »
Thanks Elle,
I'll be offline from tomorrow unfortunately as we're also in the process of moving, and haven't sorted out tintet yet.  But hopefully I'll be back on before we go to lanza.  Really appreciate your help tho. :)
Lin

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in this forum... Without you, all we'd have is questions!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • I'm not easily distracted... Oh look - a puppy!
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 20:17:37 PM »
No worries Linda. I'll speak to our guy tomorrow... and will post what he says after that. Save this thread to your favourites so you can find it easily later on when you're back online.

Good luck with the move!

Elle xx

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 22:43:14 PM »
Hi Linda.
I've done a complete U-turn with regards to my spending money. I have opened an account with Travelex, called "Cash Passport". Like yourself, I'm going over to Lanza for a longer spell this time (6 weeks) and to be truthful I just didn't want to be lugging large amounts of cash around. A friend of mine has used the Cash Passport now for a year or so on trips to the States and highly reccomends it.
Its really simple to set up Linda, just an on-line form really with the usual "security" questions. Then you will recieve an e-mail from Travelex, one phonecall is all thats required from yourself "basically to confirm that you are who you say you are";  again, all for security purposes and also to activate the account". From set-up, to receiving your card is just 3 working days.
The exchange rates are pretty reasonable as well; I got 1.09€ to the £ from Travelex, in comparison with my bank, who were only offering 1.03€ on the same day.
Fundamentally, you "load" the CP account with however much you think you'll need "2,500€ per day is the maiximum you can kick start the account with, and I think the limit that you can have in the account at any one time is approx £7,000 and say for instance, when you're on holiday, you find that you are spending a little more than anticipated, you can re-load "top-up" the account, providing that you have on-line banking of course....
Its all backed by Barcleys bank & Visa Linda, so everything on that score is pretty safe.
If Elle's suggestion doesn't come up trumps, this could be a good alternative. I also think that you can withdraw something like €400 per day with the card, so no probs with the beer money !!  ;D ;)
I'm expecting my card tomorrow Linda, and I just want to find out a few more bits & pieces, so I'm gonna give them a bell. Will post any more info as & when I get it.
Elllz, I don't think the Abbey account was any good in the end cocker, unless you had a mortgage with them or something on those lines; Sam re-checked it.
Try the link below Linda, as I say, could just be an alternative.
By the way, good luck with the move
Mick
http://www.cashpassport.com/1/en/uk/?ns_mchannel=ppc&ns_source=Google%20-%20Travelex%20CPP&ns_campaign=travelex%2520cpp&ns_linkname=travelex%20cash%20passport%20&ns_fee=0%2E0&ns_type=clickin

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in this forum... Without you, all we'd have is questions!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 22:49:39 PM »
Actually Mick - I think your suggestion is better than mine!!! I'll still speak to Alberto tomorrow - but I think your system is spot on!

Elle xx

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 23:02:31 PM »
Thanks for reading it Ellz.
It seemed like a bit of a big response, but with stuff like this, ya gotta be spot on eh cocker. Just checked the Travelex exchange rate for today, its dropped to roughly 1.07€ to the £. Thats what you have to do with the account Ellz, check when the exchange rate is pretty good (Travelex give you their ER independantly), then flick yer cash into the account. But by my reckoning, if Travelex' exchange rate has dropped, so will the banks.... I bet the banks are now down to about 1.02 ?
To be honest Ellz, I've done it for safety reasons really. Plus I didn't want to be payin in excess of £250 for a safety deposit box; 6€ per day. That would just have made a mockery of bringing cash over, and rendered the exchange rate useless, plus all the myther of havin all that cash lyin around.....just not worth it kiddo. Better safe than sorry...

Offline linda london

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2009, 07:40:04 AM »
 ;D Hi Guys,
Thanks so much for al your help, it's really appreciated, and I'm really glad I found this website.
Well, todays the big move, and as I said before I'll be off line for a while.
So thank you all again,
and Merry Christmas.
x x x ;D

Offline Bob Cunningham

• Super Hero Member
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2009, 09:36:22 AM »
Good luck with the move. ;D
Bob Cunningham

All about me, Bob Cunningham

RIP - Tony Broome

I was Canary Nightlife's 1st person to hit 25k posts, and become a Super Hero member

Offline Mick

• Star Member
  • I love Lanza
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2009, 18:06:43 PM »
I spoke with the people at Travelex this morning (to activate my Cash Passport account) and asked them about "withdrawal charges". The lady on the phone said that there are none. Apparently they stopped charging for withdrawals earlier on in the year.
Todays exchange rate with Travelex is 1.078€ to the £. Out of curiosity I called into the bank this morning and their rate was 1.024€ to the £. Not sure what the ER is in Lanza at the mo ?

The account has taken 4 days to set up, that is from; filling out the on-line form, to receiving my card/ pin number and activating the account.

Mick

Offline tracylanz

• Lanzarote villa rentals
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2010, 14:03:04 PM »
I've seen rates of around 1.12-1.13 today in costa teguise today for anyone planning a break at half term rates are slightly on the up
chips and gravy, its a bolton thing

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Global Moderator
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2010, 16:40:14 PM »
Yes - we were just saying the same today! €1.13 in Playa Blanca (which is actually €1.12)

Offline Josie

• Star Member
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2010, 23:38:49 PM »
It's because of the weak dollar - long may it last!
I love Lanzarote!

Offline Madstock

• Star Member
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2010, 23:43:05 PM »
It was 1.17 in my local shop the other day.
If you don't laugh at yourself, you're missing the best joke.

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Global Moderator
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2010, 23:49:11 PM »
Is that a local shop for local people Keith? :D

Offline Madstock

• Star Member
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 01:00:03 AM »
 ::)  ::)  ::)

It's one of those cash a cheque shops but it's sandwiched between the PO and a couple of travel agents and I've always found it gives the best rates.
If you don't laugh at yourself, you're missing the best joke.

Canary Nightlife Forum

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2010, 01:00:03 AM »