Author Topic: Gangas Tias is closing  (Read 5918 times)

Offline Karen13

• Star Member
Gangas Tias is closing
« on: May 27, 2012, 22:22:58 PM »
According to Buzz FM and backed up by numerous posts on Facebook Gangas in Tias is closing and when its gone its REALLY gone
Ⓘ ⓛⓞⓥⓔ ⓛⓐⓝⓩⓐⓡⓞⓣⓔ

Offline Jimgallaher

• Star Member
  • SUFTUM !
Re: Gangas Tias is closing
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2012, 23:16:47 PM »
Really ? Tias is becoming a bit of a ghost town by the sounds of things, pity as I love Tias. :(
Klaatu barada nikto ! Misma mierda, diá differente.
You can't outrun a maniac.

Offline Josie

• Star Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 00:02:33 AM »
We went to Gangas in Tias earlier this month.  It was rubbish.
I love Lanzarote!

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in this forum... Without you, all we'd have is questions!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • I'm not easily distracted... Oh look - a puppy!
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:19:36 AM »
According to Buzz FM and backed up by numerous posts on Facebook Gangas in Tias is closing and when its gone its REALLY gone
That's a shame. I always managed to find a bargain or two.

Offline John B

• Star Member
    • Lanzarote on Foot
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
We went to Gangas in Tias earlier this month.  It was rubbish.

All things are relative, Jane.  It wouldn't serve a purpose in Reading, but it does here. :)
My personal walking blog: Lanzarote on Foot
My personal Lanzarote history blog: The Lanzarote they left

If you want something doing well, kill Baldrick first

Offline Josie

• Star Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 11:20:09 AM »
We asked if they had any beach parasols.  They didn't but tried to convince us that a golf umbrella would serve the same purpose.  What do they take us for?  Tourists I imagine!
I love Lanzarote!

Offline John B

• Star Member
    • Lanzarote on Foot
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 15:17:26 PM »
It must be true, the Gangas website is advertising a Tias closing down sale. 10% to 75% off.

Offline lolly

• Star Member
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 23:10:56 PM »
They are closing on 1 July.  Like many residents I will miss them and agree with Elle and John they serve a purpose. I go in there for a look and come out with a bagful of stuff I didn't realise I needed (or missed).

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Thanks to those who help others by posting answers in this forum... Without you, all we'd have is questions!!!
  • Global Moderator
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:15:31 PM »
Well I know I can get large bottles of Balsamic vinegar and large sacks of dog biscuits in LIDLs... so that's ok. The Hiperdino in PB centre does cheapie tortillas (plus I can always make my own anyway). The large bottles of cheap soy sauce may be a little more difficult... as will the decently priced loaves of English style bread - back to Jackson's sawdust I suppose.

In fact - I think it's that bread that I will miss the most.

I hope that the reason for closing is that the owner's five year plan has worked a treat and that he'll be able to move on and relax now... rather than it not having been a success. We wish him well, as it was good for so many whilst it lasted!

Offline John B

• Star Member
    • Lanzarote on Foot
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 14:26:15 PM »
Talking to him this morning, it seems the Ayuntamiento have decided that the rear access road is illegal, and that the rules have changed so they need disabled loos and a full sprinkler system.  The landlord won't pay towards the changes, and in fact wants more rent. Result, empty shop, no income for landlord, more unemployment in Tias and the cluster of shops which have opened around Gangas upstairs will take a hit.  Brilliant!

Offline Josie

• Star Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 14:33:49 PM »
He needs a good lawyer. 
I love Lanzarote!

Offline lolly

• Star Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 15:06:39 PM »
Speaking to the girls in Gangas yesterday, they didn't know they were closing until they heard it on Buzz FM radio on Sunday and had it confirmed Monday morning!  Not happy bunnies.  Hopefully they will be able to move to new premises.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 15:10:57 PM by lolly »

Offline ModElle Citizen

• Global Moderator
    • Spain Buddy
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 17:23:13 PM »
Talking to him this morning, it seems the Ayuntamiento have decided that the rear access road is illegal, and that the rules have changed so they need disabled loos and a full sprinkler system.  The landlord won't pay towards the changes, and in fact wants more rent. Result, empty shop, no income for landlord, more unemployment in Tias and the cluster of shops which have opened around Gangas upstairs will take a hit.  Brilliant!
Ouch! What a shame.
Speaking to the girls in Gangas yesterday, they didn't know they were closing until they heard it on Buzz FM radio on Sunday and had it confirmed Monday morning!  Not happy bunnies.  Hopefully they will be able to move to new premises.
I was told on Sunday morning by an employee who has been laid off too. Not good for the girls that had to hear that way though - I'd be livid. Were Buzz announcing on behalf of the owner? Or had they heard and wanted to share?

Yeah - hopeful for new premises. What about the Arrecife store? And the Gangas Cafe?

Offline lolly

• Star Member
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 01:35:52 AM »
The cafe is also closing but the shop in Arrecife, opposite Ikea, is staying open under new management.

Offline Clanky

• Star Member
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »
I always call in to the shop when I am in Tias, but to be honest I don't think I have ever bought anything there, will miss the café though as it was always a good place to stop for lunch or even just a cup of tea or coffee.
Go out, do stuff

Canary Nightlife Forum

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 09:10:59 AM »